2022 Online signups for Christmas Assistance will be available through this page
Aug. 26 – Oct. 7
2022 CHRISTMAS ASSISTANCE
The Salvation Army partners with 13 NewsNow, Joy Fund, MyTVZ, and the United States Marine Corps Reserves Toys for Tots to provide Christmas assistance to families in need. Families with children ages 0-12 may apply for this program to receive Christmas Assistance. Assistance for each of these programs will then be provided at a single distribution site between December 12th and December 16th
Who Do We Serve?
The Salvation Army is looking for families in need of help this Christmas season. If you are facing an economic hardships or household crisis and have children that will be ages birth through 12 years old (born on or after 12/1/09), you may be eligible for holiday assistance this year.
What Do We Provide?
Children ages birth through 12 years will receive toys courtesy of The Salvation Army, Toys for Tots, and Joy Fund programs. Children may also be eligible for Angel Tree gifts and/or stockings.
How Do I Apply?
- When? Applications will be accepted online between August 26, 2022 and October 7, 2022.
- Where? This site is for Christmas applicants residing in Norfolk, VA Beach, Chesapeake, and Portsmouth.
If you live outside of these areas, please search for The Salvation Army office closest to you for assistance www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/plugins/gdosCenterSearch?start=1
- E-mail- You will need an email address to apply online. If you do not already have one, free email accounts can be obtained at many sites, including Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc.
- Computer/Smart Phone with Camera– You are required to upload pictures of the documents below during your application session. Please have them on hand (or already saved as pictures in your computer/smart phone) before you begin:
- Picture ID– Government picture ID of parent/guardian applying
- Proof of Address– If your ID does not include an address or has an older address, you will need to upload an additional document showing accurate address information. We accept either a current utility bill or current lease/mortgage documents. Proof of address documents must include both the applicant’s name and the correct street address (street/city/state/zip).
- Child ID/Birth Date (ages 0-12 only)– Birth Certificates/Birth Letters are preferred though we will consider other government documentation as long as they include: Child’s name; Child’s date of birth; AND Parent/Guardian information*.
*Custody Papers– If you are not the biological parent of the child you are applying for, you must also provide documentation of legal custody/guardianship.
Upload all documents when you apply to avoid delays, application cancellation, or denial
Tips for a successful application:
- Contact information- We need correct contact information, including email, phone, and street address in case we need to contact you with questions and to send your appointment card.
- Be accurate- Make sure everything is spelled correctly, is in the right place, and that all birth dates are entered correctly. Do not skip any sections.
- Only apply once– Include all 0–12-year-old children under your custody in one application.
- Try your smartphone- The application site works with smartphones which makes document upload easier (especially if you already have pictures of your documents when you start!) Using a computer or tablet without a camera creates an extra step as you try to figure out how to get images transferred over.
- Upload your documents- Your application is not complete until you have uploaded all ID, residency, and child documents! Please use “Medium” image size if given the option. Files over 10MB in digital size will not go through.
- Keep track of your Preregistration number– This is the easiest way to find your information. You will only see this after completing the entire application and submitting all required uploads.
- Wishlist – You will have the opportunity to create a wishlist of three toys per child in your application. While we cannot guarantee that you will get everything you ask for, wishlist helps direct Angel sponsors and staff in the toy selection process!
Note– We cannot accommodate requests for high-end electronics or other high-cost wish items so recommend not using limited wishlist space on those.
Click the button below to begin your 2022 Christmas Application
Angel Code = HRAC22