How to Help
Check the EnergyShare box on your utility bill and make a donation, those funds are dispersed by the respective company to The Salvation Army and used to administer the program. You can also make a cash donation and note the utility assistance program as the program to receive your gift.
How to Apply
Clients will need to come to the Social Service office upon receipt of a disconnect notice for their primary heating. At that time they will be pre-screened to determine basic eligibility. Those considered eligible will receive a later appointment date. Upon returning for their appointment clients will be required to complete a Salvation Army Social Service application.
- Clients must call the EnergyShare hotline, 757-965-9012 ext. 1 to obtain all current information
- Information changes regularly so clients are urged to call the hotline before taking further action
- Clients must have a disconnect notice, closing bill, or already be disconnected unless they are 60 or older in which case they can have any type of bill
- All non-seniors are only allowed to receive help once a season
- Seniors (Aged 60+) are allowed to receive help twice in a season unless they meet the season cap during their initial visit
- All clients can only receive Virginia Natural Gas assistance once between January – December of any given year
- When seeking assistance, the bill must be in the client’s name